Teff Crepes with Sautéed Spinach and Mushrooms
Crepes: 1/2 cup teff flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces crimini (or other) mushrooms, sliced
6 cups fresh baby spinach Salt Freshly ground black pepper
Ricotta salata, feta or parmesan cheese
1. To prepare crepes, combine the teff flour and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl combine the milk, egg and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir with a whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside.
3. To prepare filling, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown at the edges. Add the spinach; sauté 1 minute or until just wilted. Salt and pepper to taste. Removed from heat and keep warm.
4. Wipe nonstick skillet with a paper towel and return to heat. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan in a circular motion to create a thin crepe. Cook 45 seconds or just until the surface of the crepe is set. Turn with a spatula and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
5. Transfer cooked crepe to a clean kitchen towel. Repeat procedure with remaining batter for a total of 4 crepes.
6. Divide the spinach and mushroom filling among the crepes; roll or fold the crepes over the filling. Sprinkle with ricotta salata, feta or parmesan and serve immediately.