Ingredients makes 24 brownies
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 cup (11 ounces) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1/2 cup flax seed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F . Butter the sides and bottom of a 9×13-inch glass or light-colored baking pan and line with parchment paper. Let the parchment paper overhang so that it is easy to pull the brownies when baked.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together. Keep aside
- Put the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan.
- When the chocolate mixture comes to room temperature, Add 3 eggs to it and whisk until combined. Add the remaining 2 eggs and whisk until combined. Add and mix the vanilla. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cake-like.
- Add the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible. Add flax seeds and fold into batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Increase the baking time if center is not done
- Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.