INGREDIENTS serves 8
- 3 cups water, or chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence
Add pearl barley to water or stock and bring to slow simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Sautee onion, garlic, carrot in olive oil until tender and translucent. Combine barley, tomato, olives and herbes de Provence in a medium bowl.
Serve hot or cold as a salad.