- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups coarse cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 to taste fresh ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan bring the half-and-half and the water to a boil.
- Add the salt and then gradually add the polenta while stirring.
- Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring constantly.
- The polenta should be smooth and large bubbles will pop on the surface.
- Cook until very thick but not stiff, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, cheese and pepper.
- Serve immediately.