- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Mexican stye cheese, finely grated
- 1 7-ounce can whole green chilies, drained
- 1 can cooked, black beans, drained
- 1 cup drained canned corn
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack/Cheddar mix cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter 8 x 8 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Mix first 5 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook until polenta is tender and thickens, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and green chilis.
Pour half of polenta into prepared dish. Cover with half of corn and black beans. Sprinkle with half of cilantro and 1 cup Jack cheese. Spread a thin layer of prepared or homemade salsa on top. Spoon remaining polenta over. Cover with remaining chilies, corn, cilantro and cheese. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.) Bake until polenta puffs and cheese begins to brown.Top with remaining salsa
INGREDIENTS serves 8
- 3 cups water, or chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence
Add pearl barley to water or stock and bring to slow simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Sautee onion, garlic, carrot in olive oil until tender and translucent. Combine barley, tomato, olives and herbes de Provence in a medium bowl.
Serve hot or cold as a salad.